Wow. Where did the year go?
As we hurtle into Christmas week with tons of singing, drinking and merry making, here’s 10 way to avoid having a Holiday Hangover!
1.Eat A Solid Meal – before you head out and party, make sure you line your stomach with protein rich food. The amino acid, cysteine, contained in meat such as beef, chicken, turkey, assists your liver in breaking down acetaldehyde from alcohol. Also, slow down alcohol intoxication by filling up with protein and high-fiber foods like sweet potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, and brussels sprouts.
2. Commit to your exact limit – set your limit at 2 beers and 1 cocktail and stick to it. If you don’t set a limit, you’re probably going to keep going all night long.
3. For every glass of alcohol, drink one glass of water – this will not only slow you down, it will keep you from being dehydrated from the alcohol.
4. This sometimes works for me – make plans to run the next morning. It’s a good excuse to make an early exit!
5. Alternate with non-alcoholic drinks – for every alcoholic drink, order fresh lime or unsweetened orange juice. — it’s an excellent source of Vitamin C and helps prevent dehydration.
6. Head home by 1 a.m. – Nothing good happens after 1 a.m.!! Go home, go to bed!
7. Make yourself a hangover smoothie when you get home – Blend some coconut water, protein powder, frozen berries and a handful of spinach. Throw in a couple of rehydration tablets for good measure. Herbs you should consider adding – Cumin – treats issues like indigestion, diarrhea, nausea and morning sickness; Cinnamon – One of the highest antioxidant-rich spices, it helps improve blood sugar levels; Turmeric – anti-inflammatory and can even protect the liver.