Natto might smell like wet socks, but its health benefits are huge, if you can wrap your mouth around this fermented bean that the Japanese love. It is made from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis, and the longer the fermentation, the stronger the smell obviously.
Being a plant, Natto obviously has tons of plant protein. Natto is rich not only in Vit K1 but also Vit K2. An increased intake of Vit K2, has shown to possibly reduce bone loss in post-menopausal women by as much as 80 per cent.
Natto also contains an enzyme called nattokinase which has been observed to dissolve blood clots in animal tests. It works by breaking down fibrin, a protein which can lead to heart attack, stroke, poor circulation and slow tissue repair when present in excess.
Here are the benefits of this wonder bean!
1. Works better than aspirin at preventing a heart attack due to the blood-thinning effects of nattokinase
2. Prevents fractures and sustains bone mineral density in women with osteoporosis
3. Keeps your gut running smoothly and keeps your tummy efficient and calm
4. Prevents Alzheimer’s disease – it is a huge antioxidant and can mop up free radicals which are harmful to the brain and cause progressive degeneration
5. Fights cancer (especially breast cancer) and protects against heart disease due to its stores of phytoestrogens
6. Provides additional anti-cancer effects from flavonoids and isoflavones in soybeans
7. Suppresses immune reactions
8. Provides lecithin, linoleic acid, and fiber, which purifies the blood and improves digestion.
9. Helps fight against pathogens such as E. coli and salmonella.