The elusive six pack! How to be the envy of all your mates? It takes hard work and a lot of dedication for sure.. but there is one more secret.
Cardio is key. You need to run for at least 40 minutes, and then start on these top 7 core strengthening exercises to build your six pack. So you want a lean body.., but while no single exercise will ever flatten your belly or give you an instant six-pack (you need to adjust your diet for that), there are ways to work your abs even harder so that as you can lose fat, and uncover a hard body.
Here’s my best exercises to get you on your way to a terrific Six Pack:
Hanging Hip Raise
1. Grab onto bar and hang from the bar with your arms straight.
2. Start position: bring knees up with hip flexed at approximately 90°.
3. Keeping back firmly pressed against back support, slowly lower legs.
4. Return to start position.
5. Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Keep stomach tight (naval drawn in towards spine) throughout entire movement.
1. Start position: Lie back onto floor or bench with knees bent and hands extended towards ceiling. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
2. Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor or bench. Also raise legs up towards ceiling and attempt to touch your hands to your feet.
3. Return to start position.
Rollouts with Ab wheel
1. Start by sitting on your knees and placing your hands on the ab wheel.
2. Proceed to roll out with the ab wheel until your body is parallel with the floor.
3. Using your arms pull yourself back up to a semi-upright position.
4. Repeat for the suggested repetitions.
Single Leg Plank Raise
1. Start by forming a straight plank with your forearms and feet as the contact points on the ground.
2. Once the plank is formed raise one foot off the ground and then return to the starting position.
3. Repeat this movement for the desired repetitions alternating back and forth between legs.
Reverse Crunch Scissor Kicks
1. Start by lying on your back with your legs perpendicular to the floor.
2. Slowly lower one leg until you are no longer able to keep your lower back neutral to the floor.
3. Lift your leg back up and then repeat with the other leg for the desired repetitions.
4. As you get stronger continue to lower your legs closer to the floor as long as you can keep your back neutral with the floor.
1. From a standing position, jump as high as possible and land down on your feet with your hands on the ground.
2. Kick your feet back. For a moment you will be in a push up position and jump back up again as fast as possible.
3. Repeat for the required repetitions
Oblique Abductor Raise
1. Start by getting into a lateral plank pose with your hips off the ground.
2. Your only ground contact points should be your feet and elbow.
3. Holding this position raise your outside leg keeping it straight until you reach full range of motion.
4. Return your leg to the starting position and repeat for the desired repetitions.
5. Switch sides and repeat.