Kale is one of my favourite smoothie bases, because its nutritional value is just incredible! Don’t let the deep green color put you off, nor deceive you… it’s really delicious, and with just several other power-packed ingredients, you are on your way to a great start to any day.
Benefits of Kale:
1. low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat.
2. high in iron. Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef!
3. high in Vitamin K. Eating a diet high in Vitamin K can help protect against various cancers, promotes bone health, prevents blood clotting and can help people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
other things you might want to add to your amazing, power smoothie!
4. high in carotenoids and flavonoids that help protect against various cancers.
5. high in omega-3 fatty acids, which helps, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.
6. lowers cholesterol levels.
7. high in Vit A – improves vision, skin as well as helps to prevent lung and oral cavity cancers.
8. high in Vitamin C – good for immune system, and collagen for skin.
9. High in Calcium – prevents osteoporosis and maintains healthy metabolism.
10. high in fiber and sulfur – good for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy.
There are many things you might want to add to your smoothie. But by trial and error, this is the one I like. Try this fantastic smoothie that has Kale, strawberries, banana, spirulina and coconut water, that is a natural detox, antioxidant and pick me up, all rolled in one!
1 banana, peeled
3 plump strawberries
3-5 large kale leaves
coconut water to taste
If you’re an athlete or want a post-workout recovery drink, try adding:
1 teaspoon hemp protein powder
1 teaspoon ground flax seed
1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder
In a blender: Blend banana, strawberries, and water. Add kale leaf and blend. Add coconut juice thin out the smoothie if it is too thick with fibre. Add hemp protein powder, ground flax, and spirulina for a post workout smoothie. Add ice or more water to taste. Delicious!